Thursday, September 13, 2012

Electric Light Orchestra - "Hold On Tight" (#21 of 1981)

Electric Light Orchestra is definitely one of my favorite bands of the 70's and 80's.  Though I was too young to appreciate their earlier music, I became a fan after hearing 1974's "Can't Get It Out of My Head".  Of course they had already scored massive brownie points after recording the Xanadu soundtrack with Olivia Newton-John in 1980!

A band that is well-known for their rich orchestrations and concept albums, their music is unique and timeless in my opinion.  Jeff Lynne's vocals blend perfectly with both the ethereal and rocking qualities of their songs.

The "Hold On Tight" video combines the band's black and white performance interspersed with scenes from a fake adventure/romance film.  It was considered one of the most expensive videos of it's time costing £40,000.


My Personal Chart Data:

Debuted: August 9th, 1981


Peak Position: #1 (2 weeks October 4th & 11th, 1981)

Number of Weeks: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment